Being a new mom can be exciting, tiring, scary and basically every emotion all at once with all the hormone levels high and the sleep minimal.
When I had my son in the hospital, I had a total of 2 visits. The day I had him my husband, mom and step-dad and my mother in law were there. The following two days my mom visited and then my sister and her husband and two kids, other than that, it was just me and my son, as my husband had to work.
Needless to say it was lonely and I was exhausted and honestly I had no idea what I was doing. Then the day I got to bring my son home from the hospital, this first night was actually the worst. The one and only pacifier he would take had suddenly disappeared and would not sleep at all without it. Luckily, my mom came to the rescue the next day.
The weeks that followed, there were many things I found out there were some items I wished I had, as well as items I have later discovered that would have been nice to have at the time. This is why I have come up with a list of items that would make a great gift for the new mom to be. These items can be given separately or you can turn it into the ultimate gift basket she is sure to love.
Ultimate New Mom Gift Guide
- Lanolin: This not only helps treat cracked nipples, but is great for prevention.
- Pain Reliever: Great for obvious reasons. Whether C-Section or Natural, there’s pain that needs relief.
- Lidocaine spray: Nobody told me about this prior to birth and I was so thankful my hospital provided it for me.
- Peri Bottle: Another item I didn’t know existed and so glad it does!
- Witch Hazel Pads: I did not have this after birth and so wish someone had told me about it.
- Maxi Pads: Honestly you can never have too many.
- Hot/Cold Pack: Cold to reduce swelling and heat to increase circulation.
- Stool Softener: Your first time going after having a baby isn’t the most fun, so it’s great to have on hand prior to going. However, check to make sure a laxative is not combined in this.
- Fuzzy Socks: Getting out of the must have’s and into the pampering side, the added comfort is nice after everything you went through and are still going through.
- Lip Balm: Is it something about all your nutrients going to your baby that you lose all moisture? Seemed to be the case for me so this may be something not even thought of to have just in case.
- Gum: If you barely have time to sleep, do you really even have time to brush your teeth?
- Snacks: I cannot stress this one enough. Whether it be from nourishing your new baby, to having a sleeping baby on you, or just being caught up in the craziness of this new life, sometimes you don’t find the time to eat. Any sort of protein snack, trail mix, or even a special treat like chocolate will be highly appreciated by the new mom.
I hope this list helped you come up with some ideas of what to give your sister, friend, whoever it may be. You can always add in any personal items you know they’ll love, just to show your appreciation and love for the new mommy.
As always, thank you for reading to the end and don’t forget to hit the follow button on the right side of the screen so you don’t miss any future posts. Comment below some of your must have items.